Re: [patch] __volatile__ needed in get_cycles()?

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:10:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>(and as i told you in the previous mail, even instruction prefetch and
>page table access is properly synchronized in Linux, because we use invlpg
>and iret)

I am not talking about bugs, I am simply talking about precise profiling
of the asm between two get_cycles_serialized(). Note, I always thought
from time zero that get_cycles_serialized() is not needed at all for
production code, but Tigran asked for an additional get_cycles() that
would take care of reordering issues and since it looked fun I implemented
it :).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli