Re: Kernel panic mounting root with 2.2.5-ac3

Fri, 2 Apr 1999 19:59:06 -0500 (EST)

On 2 Apr 1999, Ramana Juvvadi wrote:

> I have a dell machine, mother board has Adpatec 7890 and 7860 controllers.
> I have my disks hanging off of 7890 and a cdrom off of 7860. I have no
> problem compiling and booting 2.2.2-ac1. With 2.2.5-ac3 it recognizes
> all my disks and cdrom fine. However, I am getting a kernel panic
> when it comes to mounting root. I tried compiling AIC 7xxx both as module and
> inside the kernel. No difference.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated

There is a possibility that another kernel may be reordering your
SCSI disks differently.

Try several roots in your /etc/lilo.conf file and see which one works.
Like this:

#
# Lilo boot-configuration script.
#
boot = /dev/sda
message = /boot/message
compact
delay = 15 # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal # force sane state

image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda1
label = linux-a

image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/sdb1
label = linux-b

image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/sdc1
label = linux-c

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.5 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).