Re: Subject: Re: ext3 to include capabilities?

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 06:16:16 -0500 (EST)

Rogier Wolff writes:
> Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>> Oh my, do we have a bug? The sticky bit is normally for root only.
>> Here is Digital UNIX:
>
> That is because the sticky bit is "old fashioned". It used to be used
> On directories, a second meaning was assigned for this bit. This is
> not privileged.

I know what it was and is used for. I think we have a bug.
As you can see below, Digital UNIX _does_ let a normal user
set the sticky bit on a directory:

$ md bits
$ chmod 7777 bits
$ ls -ld bits
drwsrwsrwt 2 acahalan acahalan 512 Apr 3 06:05 bits

Normal behavior seems to be:

regular file: only root can set the sticky bit
directory: anyone can set the sticky bit
symlink: nobody can set the sticky bit
other: ???