Re: Slow mouse with 2.2.2/2.2.3 SMP

Sat, 3 Apr 1999 21:47:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Gert van der Knokke wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder if anyone else has this problem:
> My new system built some weeks ago has this strange behaviour:
> While running X and moving the mouse it (the mouse pointer)
> sometimes stops moving for a short moment and then continues
> again. At the moment the mouse pointer is moving again there is
> disk activity. Somehow I think it is related, maybe an IRQ
> conflict or such though cat /proc/interrupts reveals nothing,
> not even a single irq seems dedicated to the serial ports:

To see the IRQ actually grabbed, you either have to be in X or
od `od /dev/ttySx` (to keep the port open).

If you find it's using the same IRQ as the disk, you can usually move
something to another slow so it has its own IRQ. I have found, that
if you put a bunch of cards in PCI slots, one after another, the
BIOS on some machines connects them all to IRQ10 NotGood(tm).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.5 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).