Re: NetGear troubles

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
3 Apr 1999 23:19:09 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.990403035816.5485Q-100000@calvin.captech.com>,
George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org> wrote:

>I am using the v90 tulip driver with a Net Gear FA 310TX. Motherboard is a
>Tyan Tomcat. I can get the card to work about 10% of the time. If I do get
>it to work, it stops working after a seemingly random period of time.
>Other than the familliar "Transmitter Stopped!" messages, I get nothing
>useful logged anywhere. Same problem with 2.0.36, 2.0.37 and 2.2.5

Have you tried it in a different motherboard? It's possible that
the motherboard is what's causing you grief, not the card (I've not
worked with the FA310TX on many motherboards, since I'm trying to
standardise on the FIC PA2013, but the netgears work fine for me on
those, the FIC VA503+, the FIC VB601V -- all three with VIA Apollo
chipsets -- as well as an elderly single-level ATX motherboard I dug
out of the discard bin at a web vendor and one of the first
SuperMicro Pentium II motherboards.)

In all of these cases, I've used the driver that was supplied with
the card, because it's very happy with those cards and it gets along
well with other tulips too.

____
david parsons \bi/ Oh, and all these run the Mastodon-patched 2.0.28
\/ kernel.