Re: NetGear troubles

Filip J. Bujanic (fbujanic@fikus.com)
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 10:37:12 -0400 (EDT)

What kind of a switch or hub are you pluging this card into? I have 5
machines with these cards and they gave me more problems than anything
ever before, until I turned off auto negotiation off on my switches. Also
make sure your cabeing is perfrct because this card is extremly picky. I
use stock driver from 2.2.5.

fil

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 01:02:39 -0800 (PST)
> From: George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com>
> To: unlisted-recipients:;;@voyager.cisnow.com (no To-header on input)
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: NetGear troubles
>
> On 3 Apr 1999, david parsons wrote:
>
> > Have you tried it in a different motherboard? It's possible that
> > the motherboard is what's causing you grief, not the card (I've not
> > worked with the FA310TX on many motherboards, since I'm trying to
> > standardise on the FIC PA2013, but the netgears work fine for me on
> > those, the FIC VA503+, the FIC VB601V -- all three with VIA Apollo
> > chipsets -- as well as an elderly single-level ATX motherboard I dug
> > out of the discard bin at a web vendor and one of the first
> > SuperMicro Pentium II motherboards.)
> >

> This is an older Tyan Tomcat S1562 Dual socket-7 and it just MIGHT be
> something with this board. I can not get the thing to work at all. Just
> got the version 90q driver and tried it with both 2.2.5 and
> 2.0.37-pre<something> and they both act the same.
>
> I have tried both as a module, compiled in the kernel, in every different
> slot on the PCI bus, etc. I DID get it to work ONCE with 2.0.36 and the
> supplied driver but that was only after I took the interface down and
> brought it back up ... it just came up that one time. I have not been able
> to duplicate it. Note that this is an SMP box with dual P150's. I have not
> tried it on a UP kernel on this box.
>

> -

filip