Re: Limiting amount of disk cache in Linux

Noah Beck (noah@ecn.purdue.edu)
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 14:09:05 -0500

Ted Pavlic wrote:

> Does anyone know how to limit the amount of disk cache used by Linux?
>
> Before everyone says, "No! You don't want to do that! That's bad!" Let me
> explain my situation.
>
> I have a RAID that has its own disk cache, and I receive much better
> performance if I let my RAID handle the caching and have Linux leave it
> alone.
>
> I'm using the Linux 2.2.5 kernel.
>
> I've experimented with /proc/sys/vm, but any changes I make there don't seem
> to have any effect on actual caching.

Um, then, how do you know that you receive much better performance if
you let raid handle the caching and have Linux leave it alone? I find
it difficult to believe that accessing a device is faster than accessing
memory.

Noah