Re: rtc: Lost interrupts messages

Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:53:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 nads@bleh.org wrote:

> > > Now that you speak of it, yes, I was using VMware at the time. But what I
> > > really wanted to know if those messages are dangerous to Linux.
> >
> > There is no point reporting Linux bugs with stuff like vmware loaded. If you
> > can't duplicate the problem -without- vmware loaded (this goes for any
> > other binary only Xserver/module) then report the problem to whoever wrote.
> > it - in this case vmware tech support.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > -
>
> Just like to point out that the source to the vmware kernel modules is availble
> along with a diff for the X server. Not binary only :).
>
> While I'm mailing the list, Daylight saving's time just came about. Linux
> automatically updated the time (or perhaps a daemon I'm unaware of), however
> when I rebooted the time went back an hour (e.g. the system clock wasn't
> changed). This happened on both of my Linux boxes. When I used date --set to
> set the time, the time went back an hour when I rebooted (both boxes). My
> question is, is this a date problem, a Linux problem, or a BIOS problem?

The Daylight-savings time changeover does not set your CMOS clock.
Sometime, before you reboot, something should do `clock -w`. I use
cron to set my system times every night to NIST.

rdate time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
clock -w

I do this after 4:00 AM so that if savings-time changed, I still
get the CMOS clock set right.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.5 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).