Re: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

Nat Lanza (magus@cs.cmu.edu)
05 Apr 1999 09:20:42 -0400

Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Furthermore, essential files that are meant to be part of Linux shouldn't
> be distributed in a format proprietary to RedHat. It's fine if they use
> RPM on their distributions but DO NOT LOCK the rest of us OUT! I have a
> number of bitches about RedHat too but this isn't the place or the time
> for these (take it to slashdot =)

Proprietary? Funny, I thought it was freely available. Let's see
here... Aha! From the RPM HOWTO, conveniently linked from
http://www.rpm.org:

"Permission is granted to use and distribute RPM royalty free under
the GPL."

All FSF arguments aside, that doesn't sound so proprietary to me. And
the www.rpm.org front page doesn't mention RedHat even once. So before
you start spouting RedHat conspiracy theories like the Slashdot
freaks, maybe you could do a minute or two worth of research? Really,
a rant works much better if it's even vaguely based in fact.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/