Re: Failed compile of 2.2.4 on SPARC IPC...

Torbjorn Lindgren (tl@fairplay.no)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:22:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@plutonium.net> said:
> > I have a nice little SPARC IPC with 36MB of RAM and a 540MB SCSI
> > drive. I did a 'make vmlinux' and everything compiled and then
>
> Note that the IPC is a Sun4m machine, not an Ultra (as your reading of the
> UltraPenguin documentation would seem to suggest).

No, it's a Sun4c. The Sun4c line compromises of SS1/SS1+/SLC/ELC/IPC/IPX.

>From arch/sparc/config.in it looks like Linux doesn't need different
configurations for them (it's just plain Sun4 that's odd there), which
is different from how Solaris handles them (I haven't run 2.6/7 on Sun
hw thought, but I doubt that they changed that).

For more details on on which architecture the different Sun 4 machines
belong to check out: http://www.sunhelp.com/faq/sunref1.html

(The sun-hdwr-ref hasn't been updated for a while, but all older machines
should be there).

--
Torbjörn Lindgren
Network Manager, FairPlay International AS