Re: Address spaces on a i386 - Getting Confused

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
5 Apr 1999 14:45:47 GMT

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.04.9904051634060.723-100000@cheetah.psv.nu>
By author: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Eric Lowe wrote:
>
> > Agreed. From what we've seen, most PCI devices running on 64-bit systems
> > are already going 64-bit.
> > The problem of 32 bits on >4GB will probably be isolated to Intel. Why
> > would someone put an older, $50 board in a $10k workstation anyway?
>
> Many sepcialized pci-devices are only made as 32-bit cards. The cost of
> developing a new card only to make a few of them is often prohibitive.
> When 64-bit architectures are the norm this will probably change.

The good news is that many 32-bit cards support Dual Address Cycle for
64-bit addressing. The bad news is that I don't even think it is the
majority.

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with