Re: Upgrading configuration files: HOW?

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 10:49:26 -0500

Nick Urbanik wrote:

> Hi Senthil,
>
> > Backup your old config file (.config under linux directory) and put
> > it back after applying patch or new src installation. Don't forget to
> > run make xconfig and save. But if old config option_flags are't
> > recognised, you have to manually fix them in .config file or
> > regenerate a new .config
>
> So you mean I can just load the previous configuration file into the make
> xconfig program without problems; I mean, if it loads, it's okay?
>
> --

That's what he's saying, but you may have to do some manual editing of
.config. For instance, if an option is grayed out in make xconfig, you
will probably have to edit .config and enable that option, to be able to
configure it thru xconfig/menuconfig/config. That's how I configure my
kernels; saves much time over re-entering all the configuration stuff.
;)

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis