Re: [patch] arca-vm-2.2.5

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:04:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Doug Ledford wrote:

>Hmmm...I've talked about this a few times to Alan Cox and Stephen
>Tweedie. I didn't bother to instrument the hash function because in
>this case I knew it was tuned to the size of the inode structs. But, I
>did implement a variable sized page cache hash table array. I did this

Well it's strightforward. I just did the same some time ago for the buffer
hash table. But I agree with Chuck that enlarging the hash size could harm
the hash function distrubution (I should think about it some more though).

I also think that I'll implement the cookie thing suggested by Mark since
I am too much courious to see how much it will help (even if my mind is
driven by RB-trees ;).

Andrea Arcangeli