Re: Odd problem with UDMA drive and 2.2.3-pre3 and 2.2.5

Dale E. Martin (dmartin@clifton-labs.com)
07 Apr 1999 08:58:16 -0400

"Andre M. Hedrick" <hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu> writes:

> There is nothing wrong with the drive or mainboard.
> PIIX3 can,t do UDMA.

OK, someone should tell Tyan:

TYN TITAN-PRO V5.1 5/8/98
V5.1 Award BIOS for all Titan Pro series motherboards. Includes a pci vga
irq setup item and support for UDMA33 HDD, Zip/LS120 floppy drives and CPU
1Mb cache. Now supports the Oxygen 3D Video Card. AWDFLASH.EXE included
in archive.

Is there any theory why it seemed to be working with the Western Digital
drive connected to the secondary controller? That's what I found odd. I
can supply boot info and hdparm output with that drive connected if it
would be informative.

> There is no currect code to back peddle to correct gross hardware
> problem. It can be done by recompiling with CONFIG_AUTODMA disabled,
> and call from your rc.local script.
>
> hdparm -X34 -d1 /dev/hda
>
> Only after booting.

I'll do this. Right now the performance is terrible.

Thanks,
Dale

--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |