Re: ext3 to include capabilities?

Daniel Taylor (dante@plethora.net)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:24:45 -0500 (CDT)

Really, if the capabilities are built into the ext3 filesystem
they will not break on older kernels.

Either you will have an ext3 module loaded, and therefore have
access to the capabilities as well, or you will not be able to
mount the filesystem.

The filesystem module itself can be written to fail-safe if it
is loaded into a kernel that does not have capability support.

For "backwards compatability" with existing security scripts it
could have a mount option to show all programs with capabilities
enabled as SUID.