Re: If Celeron/400 really stepping 0?

Aaron Tiensivu (tiensivu@pilot.msu.edu)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 16:03:16 -0400

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 11:23:56AM -0400, Steve Snyder wrote:
> Under Linux v2.2.5, /proc/cpuinfo shows my Celeron/400MHz as stepping 0.
> Is this right? I would think with all the racheting-up that Intel has done
> with the clock speed, the stepping would be greater.

Most C400s are , in a very general sense, just 300a's with the multiplier set
higher, I don't think they've really done any core changes on it. They'd have
to charge you $500 more and tell you it makes the internet faster, if that
was the case, ie, P3.

The thing that irks me about the P3 is that none of the new instructions
have anything to do with the internet, directly. If ChromeEffects were out
and in use, sure, that would be the case.

Cheers..