Re: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:53:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> I don't see this as an issue of RPM vs. TGZ... Up till now kernel
> developers have standardized on tgz for distribution. If Linus wants to
> change that the RPM, he's free to, even though I think that TGZ is the
> right way to distribute this source. Inconsistancy is horrible. No one
> wants to have to use tgz for some packages and srcprms for others. Lets
> just stay consistent! As long as the kernel is distributed in a gzipped
> tar file, so should everything else relating to the kernel.

If you distribute in RPM you are going to have to impose a place in the
filesystem to put it on every system that unpacks the RPM. Even Debian now
unpacks their kernel .deb packages as a tarball the user puts where they
want.

Distributing the kernel source as an RPM is a BAD IDEA(tm).