Re: aic7xxx driver update

Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 12:59:18 -0400

Michael Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 11:47:51AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
> -> Which SCSI controller is giving the reset errors?
>
> The Ultra 2 Wide LVD one.
>
> -> Which device?
>
> The IBM DRVS09V ... 9.1 GB Ultra 2 Wide LVD
>
> -> What's the status of tagged queueing on your setup?
>
> Enabled, 16 commands.

Try disabling it if the no_reset option doesn't help.

> -> Does it identify the device before the problems start?
>
> Yes, it IDs the first controller, then the first scsi reset happens,
> then it IDs the second controller, more resets, then panic.

Does it identify the drive before the resets start? Does it print out the
speed that the drive is communicating at before the first reset? What exactly
are the messages about the reset? What kind of panic is this? Is there an
oops that goes along with the panic?

> -> What happens if you use the aic7xxx=no_reset flag on bootup?
>
> Haven't tried that. I was under the impression we were strongly discouraged
> from using it, but I'll try it and get back to you.

You are, but if it helps the problem then it gives me a good idea of where the
problem could be coming from.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but