Re: CPU affinity

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:49:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Orlando Andico wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Are there any patches available to enable some sort of CPU affinity? this
> would be useful for some software (e.g. Informix Dynamic Server) and in
> general would reduce cache thrashing on SMP boxes.

Linux already uses a simple form of CPU affinity. Although it is quite
simple, it is quite effective. I worked on it for about a week somewhere
around 2.1.4x and was unable to acheve any intresting improvements.

With more complicated schemes I had the following problems:

1) The added computation time outweighed the benifit.
2) The 'smart' method slowed cpu load imbalance rebalencing and slowed
things down.
or
3) It broke even.

However, this was on a Dual P5/166MMX with a combined L2 cache. On PPRO+
the L2 caches are seperate so better affinity gives you a bigger win. I
havn't done any expirmentation on PPRO+ SMP systems, so it might be a win
there...