Re: I have information/driver source for winmodem's (no Joke)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 02:01:31 -0400 (EDT)

Richard Reynolds writes:

> there are no AT commands for any of the lucent modems! so having the
> commands programmed elseware doesnot help. the commands are proprietary.

Having the commands programmed elseware _does_ help. Since your modem
does not handle AT commands, you need to emulate them. For the ISDN
drivers, the kernel already interprets the AT commands in software.

Got it?

In other words, you would have a /dev/whatever file that you can use
with normal dialup software. The device file accepts AT commands,
even though the modem itself does not accept them.

> well the one that the base drivers are written in is assembly for the intel
> processor (the only chip the modems will work with) however if i found that

You will need to do one of these:

A. Convert the assembly from MASM syntax to gas syntax.
I once saw a sed script to do it.

B. Use the NASM assembler instead of gas.

C. Write plain C to replace the assembly.

MMX and FPU operations cause problems. If you really need them, make
sure you save and restore the registers properly. If in doubt, get help.