Re: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:48:44 +0100

Hi,

(your mailer's not line wrapping properly, btw)

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 12:40:34PM -0500, Bill Priest wrote:

> I as trying to sudo cp a 2.5M tar file from a linux ext2 partition to a
> ntfs drive that was mounted and received the subject.

Serves you right then :) Seriously, while the principles are there, I'm sure
there are more than a few bugs still to be shaken out of the NTFS write code;
that's why it's marked as experimental. Can you try 2.2.6? It has some updates.

I'll have a look at your oops and see what I can do, but I'm not exactly a
master hacker :(

There's a mailing list for the ntfs driver if you're interested in helping
with it, or following developments. The details are on Martin's page at..
oh look, netscape's hung again..
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/ntfs/

> PPS. I subsequently did an ls on /dosd and it hung. kill -9 could not even
> get rid of it and I could not reboot cleanly (umount wouldn't un-mount the drive
> manually).

Yup, that's pretty much standard when one of your file system drivers dies.
To avoid the unclean reboot in this situation, unmount all your other partitions
by hand (+ remount the root ro)..

S.

--
"Hey!  Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
                -- W. C. Fields