Re: Failing drive? S.M.A.R.T. utilities?

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 15:33:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Steve Philp wrote:
> Also, I notice that /proc/ide/hdc contains a couple files with
> S.M.A.R.T. values. Are there any utilities which will convert this to
> usable (for humans) information? Maybe those contain some clues about
> the problem?

Much of the SMART values are custom for each drive. I have asked members
of the IDE committee (specifically, the individuals involved in writing
the SMART specification) for explanation of SMART values and have received
deafening silence in reply.

You can try writing them too but dont expect a response. They are
mark.evans@quantum.com and pete_mclean@maxtor.com

-Dan