Re: Failing drive? S.M.A.R.T. utilities?

Bob McElrath (mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:20:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> > Much of the SMART values are custom for each drive. I have asked members
> > of the IDE committee (specifically, the individuals involved in writing
> > the SMART specification) for explanation of SMART values and have received
> > deafening silence in reply.
> > You can try writing them too but dont expect a response. They are
> > mark.evans@quantum.com and pete_mclean@maxtor.com
>
> IBM might be able to help out, considering they initially wrote it (if I
> remember right).

I too have tried to contact IBM on this issue, and have received deafening
silence. I get errors that appear in syslog that I'm fairly certain come
from SMART, but I've no idea how to decode them.

I'd be very interested in anything you come up with.

-- Bob

-- Benjamin Franklin

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison