Re: Limit of 6 IDE interfaces?

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:21:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> > (Of course, if the IDE controllers are purely PCI device, this
> > doesn't matter. I really wish someone like Mark Lord would chime in
> > now)
>
> AFAIK Promise UDMA controllers are purely PCI.

I think what worries me is the controllers on the motherboard. An example
might be what one of my motherboards does on boot:

PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 38
PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe IRQ's later
PIIX: device not capable of full native PCI mode

That is why I think it might vary from one motherboard to the next IF you
are also using the built-in IDE interfaces and that is what the original
poster seemed to want to do.