Re: K6-2, Stepping 12, MTRR in 2.2.6

Jeff Epler (jepler@inetnebr.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 07:17:47 -0500

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 12:45:20PM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Linus' kernels don't have MTRR support for Cyrix or AMD. Grab my MTRR
> patch from: http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/kernel-patches.html
>
> This has been submitted to Linus. I'm waiting for his comments.

In the meantime, I notice that Alan has put an incompatible version of the
mtrr patch into 6-ac1. What are the differences between these two
implementations of mtrrs for AMD processors, and is a merged version in the
works? The -ac1 version doesn't seem to work at all on my machine,
/proc/mtrr exists but doesn't change when I "echo" to it.

By the way, I've missed the discussions, AMD seems to offer just two MTRRs.
But I'd like to set up at least 3 distinct regions (main memory, 2d
framebuffer, and voodoo2 memory). I suppose I just give up and do only
main memory and 2d framebuffer. Should I do something complicated like
changing the second mtrr to the voodoo2 card when a mesa app starts up, and
restoring it when it ends?

Jeff

--
\/ http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jepler/           Jeff Epler jepler@inetnebr.com