Re: sync problem in 2.2.5

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:32:29 +1200

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 08:51:14PM +0200, Andre Couture wrote:

> It "hang" my system and sometimes just the window from which I'm
> running the command "sync".

If you have lots of dirty pages and lots of memory, sync can take
several seconds and hold up any processes which do IO. This is
especially noticeable on systems with only a single spindle or a vfs
made of relatively few physical filesystems, but it also occur at the
high end as well and will be a problem until be get per device
queues.

-cw