Re: Possible security hole? [was: verify_area(...) possible problem]

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:09:59 +0200

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 05:08:50PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Oh, I was hoping the patch would actually fix the behaviour, rather than
> > turning off clone :-)
>=20
> Noone uses clone, anyway ;-).

Multithreaded apps use clone() to create threads. At least on my glibc-2.0.7
system, pthread_create() uses the clone() syscall. I can hardly imagine any
other possibility to create kernel handled threads, BTW.

OK, I admit, most apps are not multithreaded ...

--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Wuppertal, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--