Re: SCSI error: hardware, software, or firmware?

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:31:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, m* wrote:

> i was wondering if anyone had seen this error when employing the BusLogic BT-958 PCI
> SCSI using driver version 2.0.14, the disk is an IBM Ultra Star 18XP ( non-SCA ), and
> the kernel is 2.0.35.
>
> the error text is:
>
> 17:37:08 master kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun 0 return code = 28000002
> 17:37:08 master kernel: extra data not valid Current error sd08:10: sense key Hardware Error
> 17:37:08 master kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal target failure
> 17:37:08 master kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 2, absolute sector 2
>
> in a weeks time various sectors have intermittently received errors:
[SNIPPED]

> this disk was new when installed but i have seen the same error on another system i have
> employing the same controller and disk combination which also posted the same return code ( and
> sector in this case ) with the exception being that the kernel is a 2.2.0-pre6, the driver
> is a 2.1.15 and the disk is SCA with an SCA to 68-pin adapter:
>
> 06:33:09 irc kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code = 28000002
> 06:33:09 irc kernel: extra data not valid Current error sd08:02: sense key Hardware Error
> 06:33:09 irc kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal target failure

> 06:33:09 irc kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 2

I had a similar failures on a brand new IBM with the BusLogic controller.
It occurred when I tried to `mke2fs` initially so there was no data loss.

I low-level formatted the drive and have been using it ever since with
no errors.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).