Re: Failing drive? S.M.A.R.T. utilities?

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:58:12 -0400

Steve Philp wrote:

> >From the sounds of it, I've got a failing drive on this machine. It
> sounds like it momentarily loses power, but then spins right back up.
> I've verified that the power and ribbon cables are securely inserted,
> and the failures don't seem to be triggered by the occasional bump or
> jostle on my desk. The system logs show:
..
> kernel: ide1: reset: success
> kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x00 { }

To me, this looks like a drive that has just been
powered down by the BIOS power management stuff.

Often when that happens, the BIOS also powers down
part of the chipset, leaving us just zeros in the
register space -- makes it impossible to recover
unless the driver "knows" about power management for
that specific chipset.

Just a (good) guess.

--
mlord@pobox.com