Re: 2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> > > Fair enough, although I know other people have definitely reported
> > > bigger differences. Is there a decent tuning writeup online that we can
> > > direct people to in the future? I'm helping Rik van Riel and a number
> > > of folk on the linux performance lists to assemble some basic tuning
> > > info and Apache is obviously one of the important components to cover.
> >
> > http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
>
> There is nothing in this document about tuning Linux to help Apache.
> It does seem to cover tuning Apache itself quite well.

Right -- it's a document about tuning apache. "Tuning linux" is even more
a black art and I wasn't about to write up everything. Plus it changes
every couple kernel versions and libc versions anyhow. It's a nightmare
to keep up to date any documentation surrounding linux internals.

I'm saying this from the point of view of the person who answers the
apache bugdb mail regarding linux problems. 90% of what I end up having
to say to people is "well gee it works fine on all machines I have access
to, maybe it's your distribution/kernel version/libc version/phase of the
moon/colour of your hair/..." there are just too many variables that make
linux inconsistent. Take it as a light flame.

I'm actually *afraid* of what problems will be phrased as apache bugs when
people start to learn how to "tune" their linux kernel. Yay! Another
dozen dimensions of freedom for inexperienced people to break their
system!

</rant>

Dean