Re: problems with video card after hw upgrade

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:42:51 +0200

On Apr 22, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Q wrote:
>
> > I just bought myself a new motherboard (Asus P5A-B), with an AMD K6-2,
> > 366 MHz. I used my old video card, with an S3 Trio64 on it, and I'm
> > having problems with it.
> >
> > When I'm using something higer then 640x480x16, I get all these vertical
> > black lines on my screen.
> >
> > When starting X this is what I get:
> >
> > (--) S3: chipset: Trio64 rev. 10
> > (--) S3: chipset driver: mmio_928
> > (--) S3: card type: PCI
> > (--) S3: videoram: 2048k
> > (--) S3: Ramdac type: s3_trio64
> > (--) S3: Ramdac speed: 135 MHz
> > (--) S3: Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK 56.080 MHz)
> > (--) S3: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 135.000 MHz
> > (--) S3: Virtual resolution set to 1024x768
> > (--) S3: Local bus LAW is 0xDF000000
>
> This address is not possible as far as I remember since it needs to be on
> a 64 Mb boundary.

wrong. only Trio64V+ and newer chips support newmmio mode
and need 64M footprint/alignment (and only for newmmio mode!).
this is a plain old Trio64 chip, so base address is fine here.

> However S3 has managed to screw up one of the simplest
> rules of PCI configuration register spaces: that you can only tell the
> amount of memory a board uses by writing all ones and reading back.

wrong. PCI config regs are not about _installed_ memory but about
address space requirements (footprint) of the card.
if you'd like to know how much memory is installed on your card,
check the S3 chip's config register CR36.

> My Trio64 claims it needs 8 Mb when actually it occupies 64Mb. Some
> BIOSes know this and work around the problem, others don't (I don't blame
> the BIOSes, it's a very serious bug from S3).

which Trio64 version and chip revision are you talking about?
I don't know any plain Trio64 which occupies 64M, and no
more recent version which doesn't correctly claim the needed 64M.

AFAIK only S3 868 and 968 have a similar bug: they require 64M
but only claim 32M causing bad layout/alignment if the main BIOS
doesn't know/fix this bug.

> So we have to find a 64 Mb hole where to put the board. What does lspci -v
> or cat /proc/pci tell about your PCI devices ?

again: not needed for Trio64 rev. 10.

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\