Re: problems with video card after hw upgrade

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Q wrote:

> I just bought myself a new motherboard (Asus P5A-B), with an AMD K6-2,
> 366 MHz. I used my old video card, with an S3 Trio64 on it, and I'm
> having problems with it.

I did something similar a couple months ago - got a ASUS P5A, K6-2 400. I
used my Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM (Trio 64) card. (At least, until my
birthday, I hope. :-> )

> When I'm using something higer then 640x480x16, I get all these vertical
> black lines on my screen.

I haven't seen this problem. What is the name and model of your card?
Send me your XF86Config and I'll see if it differs in some significant way
from mine.

> btw: I have this lines both under linux as windows.

Hmmm. That really points to a hardware issue; mine works fine in both
Linux and Windows. A few things to try:

1. Make sure the monitor cable is attached properly. (unlikely, but
hey...)
2. Make sure the card is seated firmly in the PCI slot.
3. Try moving the card to a different PCI slot.
4. Check the BIOS, and disable any type of "Shadowing".

> Anybody can help me with this? Time to buy a new video card?

Well, Trio64's are not exactly top-of-the-line these days, but it *ought*
to work. Mine does, for what I need it to do.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Some people achieve immortality by great works. I'd like to achieve it
by not dying." - Terry Prachett