Re: Poor smbfs performance - 2.2.6

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:14:13 -0500

"David B. Rees" wrote:
> The read/write performance to the mounted filesystems is _very_ slow.
>
> Write performance is about 40KB/s (thats KBytes), and read performance is about
> 1-200KB/s.
>
> When not communicating over a mounted smbfs, such as NFS, SMB, FTP, etc, I get
> normal transfer speeds. These machines are on a quiet LAN.
>
> Another oddity: smbclient performs at normal speeds to the other Linux/Samba
> box, but smbclient to the Win95 box results is horrid write performance
> (~10-15KB/s) but much better read performance (600KB/s). Yet both mounted fs's
> perform close to the same!
>
> Samba is version 2.0.3 on both Linux machines, as well as smbmount.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Dave

Well, if you are mounting shares which live on the Win95 machine, you
might want to consider enabling the Win95 Bug Workaround in the kernel.
If, however, you are *not* mounting shares exported by Win95
(specifically Win95), i.e., shares on an NT server or on another OS or
Linux, then make sure you *don't* have the Bug Workaround enabled. I
don't have Win95 anymore (Thank you God!), but still run NT, so can't
really tell you how well the Workaround works.

BTW, what do you use to test the performance?

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis