Re: What kernel version am I REALLY running?

Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:54:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Jonathan wrote:

> I am running kernel version 2.2.6 or at least I should be ..... I compiled
> etc. on SuSE Linux 6.0 which is suposed to be 2.2 ready. The kernel
> installed in /vmlinuz as usual, but when I reboot the intro still says I am
> running 2.0.36 and so does /proc/version and uname -r ..... I wouldn't care
> except now I can't load modules because the setting for the modules
> directory is /usr/modules/uname -r .... which is returning 2.0.36 instead of
> 2.2.6 .... this is preventing me from using PPP in linux..... please help.

If `uname -r` is returning 2.0.36, you are running 2.0.36. If you don't
believe this do `cat /proc/version`.

Uname makes a 'C' runtime library call with a pointer to a structure
containing various members (sysname, nodename, release, version, machine,
and domainname). It then prints the results.

You probably did not install your new kernel after you built it, even
though you thought you did.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.6 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).