Re: What kernel version am I REALLY running?

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 14:44:30 +0400 (MSD)

In <002201be8ea0$1f5c3240$33edfccc@complexity> Jonathan (flymolo@eatel.net) wrote:
> I am running kernel version 2.2.6 or at least I should be ..... I compiled
> etc. on SuSE Linux 6.0 which is suposed to be 2.2 ready. The kernel
> installed in /vmlinuz as usual, but when I reboot the intro still says I am
> running 2.0.36 and so does /proc/version and uname -r ..... I wouldn't care
> except now I can't load modules because the setting for the modules
> directory is /usr/modules/uname -r .... which is returning 2.0.36 instead of
> 2.2.6 .... this is preventing me from using PPP in linux..... please help.

You are still using 2.0.36 kernel .... It's not DOS :-)) New kernel will not
be loaded magically when some files replaced. You must reconfigure loader first.
In case of LiLo just /sbin/lilo command must be enough...