Re: WAY OT--Crisis...virus! Need help

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:02:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, James Willard wrote:

> Seeing the same thing with two of my Win95 boxes and a friend's computer (we
> don't even share files between ourselves). It wipes out the partition table.
> ICK! Where did it come from, and is there any way to recover the data?

I have been reading about it for over a week now. It is a timebomb set to
go off on 26 April. Nasty one too. About the only EASY way to recover is
to restore from your backup. Otherwise, one of those data recovery
services might help you if you do not remember EXACTLY what the partition
boundries were. If you do, you might be able to use some util to re-write
it but I heard that it wipes the disk to a fairly unrecoverable state.