Re: Modem PCI

Jussi Hamalainen (count@theblah.org)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:21:26 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, fito wrote:

> got a rockwell PCI fax modem 56K and it just doesn't work under 2.0.x or
> 2.2.x so the question is: What do we must do to make the modem work under
>linux ??

You need to beg Rockwell for the specs for the modem and write a
driver.

> are we out of luck as this is a winmodem ?? (hope the last one is not the
> reason :) )....

I'm sorry to say that you are out of luck for now. Generally Linux
only works with internal modems which have a serial port onboard. The
new PCI modems are not real modems as they compleately lack serial
functionality (which is done by software). Hence support in the
kernel is needed for these to work. Go buy an external modem.

-=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count@theblah.org ]=-