Re: NFS & time

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
28 Apr 1999 21:52:55 +0200

lm@bitmover.com (Larry McVoy) writes:

> Has anyone thought of a mount option to NFS that would keep the client's
> clock in sync with the server's clock?

It's not (to my knowledge) being considered. In NFSv3 and NFSv4 it
really isn't much of an issue anyway, since you can ask the server to
directly set atime/mtime/ctime according to its local
clock. Time-updates will therefore always be correct, and you can
always keep correct time-ordering of files.
If you need anything more than that, you should be looking to using
xntpd or some such protocol.

Cheers,
Trond