Re: cache killer memory death test - 2.2.6 vs andrea2&4

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:06:30 +0200 (CEST)

On 29 Apr 1999, Harvey J. Stein wrote:

>I was surprised by the loss in interactive performance from a2 to a4,
>which is why I ran test 2 again for a2 and 2 more times for a4. It's
>still substantially better than the stock kernels, though.

Ok. This was my feeling too. With changes between A2 and A4 I did
penalized the mmapped memory in favour of caching memory. This allowed the
dbase program to alloc the buffer he needed, but this mean that it swapped
out far more data to disk.

I'll revert to the andrea2 behaviour (thanks for the information).

I also released a 2.2.7_andrea1.bz2 but don't try it!!! because since I
merged 2.2.7 my VM tree is unstable under high swap load. I don't think
it's a 2.2.7 issue (since I overviewed all the patch and I couldn't find
anything wrong in it) but maybe a missed bit in the merging or some more
subtle bug. I hope to have a clue shortly.

Andrea Arcangeli