Re: 48 day uptime problem?

Bob McElrath (mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:21:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, David Miller wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ted Rolle <ted@acacia.datacomm.com>
>
> I mean, like this bug isn't more than 24 hours old! C'mon, guys!!!
>
> It's 48 days old, and sorry, we're just a bunch of "punk kids" who
> think they're going to change the world :-)

Conveniently, my alpha hit 48 days uptime a day after you guys found this.
Unfortunately, it seems the problem is more complicated than just the TCP
code. I suspect that in many places in the kernel, time (in ms) is taken as
a 32-bit integer. I experienced the following symptoms (kernel 2.2.2-ac7)
when I hit 48 days:

1) No network connections succeeded.
2) processes that I "visited" (i.e. went to xterm, typed something...)
spammed the CPU. Load hit 10 very quickly, and it took about 10 minutes for
'shutdown -r now' to succeed.

I'll install 2.2.7 with your patch today, but in 48 days I'll be out of the
country and away from my computer. I hope someone else can investigate this
further sometime around the middle of June. ;)

Maybe some greps of the source tree for time calls?

-- Bob

-- Benjamin Franklin

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison