Re: Kernel-errors ... wasting up my /var/log/messages

Simon Richter (geier@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:46:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Raphael Becker wrote:

> The eth0-thing ("tulip" Fast Ethernet with DECs 21140) is ok, it is my
> connection to my X-Terminal which is "off" sometimes (TP X-over cable)
> but why is this a reason for the kernel to remind me every minute that
> it is off? How can I turn this warning off? The connection is without
> any devices "between" like HUBs or switches.

It usually means problems if a configured interface for which probably
routes have been set does not work. If you want to pull the cable, you
should "ifconfig eth0 down" first.

> The eth2-thing ("ne2000-comat"-pnp) is mysterious ... how ca a device
> "loose" its IRQ? I never had problems like this before.

If a transmission doesn't complete in time there might be two causes:
Either it is a cable problem or the irq that happens after the transmit is
complete didn't happen. If the cable is fixed properly this indicates a
serious problem with your card. If not, you can ignore that, I believe,
but the same goes for that card as for eth0.

Simon