Re: fast EtherChannel support?

Thomas Davis (tadavis@lbl.gov)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:35:44 -0700

Glen Turner wrote:

> The EtherChannel encoding is:
>
> > Our algorithm (currently) is
> > (destination_ethernet_address AND 000.0000.0003) XOR
> > (source_ethernet_address AND 0000.0000.0003)
>
> You then round-robin the resulting eight values through
> however many ports are in the channel.
>

>From what I can tell from Sun's Trunking manual, and working with the
software, it doesn't ever really round robin the packets..

Your ethernet address determines which channel of the bundle you use;
and you get stuck with it.

No real load balancing there..

> Again, you don't need this protocol to do enough
> output hashing to interoperate. Linux could establish
> its own hashing scheme and happily co-work with
> EtherChannel switches. It's just that the port allocation
> on the switch needs to be done manually. Not a big deal.

This works.

I know; I'm doing it today. I've sent the bonding patch for 2.2 to
Alan; some comments and changes will probably occur (but not for at
least a week; I'm headed out for a few days..)

The network support people prefer to setup the channel by manually; they
don't trust the auto detect code.