Re: 2.2.x kernels and low memory levels

Steve Willer (willer@interlog.com)
Mon, 3 May 1999 15:57:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Phil Blecker wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 12:05:20PM -0400, Steve Willer wrote:
> > For my own curiosity, could you try kernel 2.2.7? Then, without changing
> > any config, apply the patch at the bottom of this message and try our
> > machine again? I would like to know if there's any difference.
> Everything worked fine with stock 2.2.7.
> Unfortunately enough time went by between my original message that I had
> made other changes that may be afffecting things, rather than the change to
> 2.2.7. Without a lot of checking, I just don't know.
> If you would still like to know what the timing difference is for your
> patch, I can run that tonight. I saved the time it took with 2.2.7. That's
> about all the information I guess we'll get if I understood you correctly.

All I did was reduce the memory usage by the kernel, possibly at the cost
of a tiny bit of computing time during buffer access. Nothing special or
spectacular. This definitely counts as a simple "tweak", and I was curious
about whether it gives a noticeable difference on your system.

Now, I thought you were having big swap thrashing problems. So, 2.2.7
fixed it? What were you running before?