Re: [OT] Comments to WinNT Mag !!

alano@summanulla.pcx.ncd.com
Mon, 03 May 1999 12:30:14 -0700

> On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 08:01:20PM +0200, BROWN Nick wrote:
> > >However, I think there should be a _public_ place where this
> > clarification is available.
> >
> > I have corresponded briefly with Mark Russinovich on NT-related issues in
> > the past, and he has always seemed a very fair-minded individual. He
> > certainly isn't in Microsoft's pocket, for example. I would hope that if
> > asked, he would contribute some follow-up to this forum. Of course, he
> > makes his living from NT - both its strengths and its shortcomings.
>
> He does make the grievous logical error in stating that (I
> paraphrase): Windows NT must be an acceptable Enterprise OS because
> companies use it for this purpose.

Just because someone uses something for a stated purpose does not mean that it is good for that purpose or the best for that purpose. I have seen people use spreadsheets for databases and page layout programs, for example. People will use whatever they have available or are told to by upper management. This is why Microsoft's advertising is pitched to management types and not technical types. (Technical types do not make major purchacing decisions any more, sad to say.)

But then again, I have never figured out why a server box needs a gui tightly coupled with the kernel...