Re: [off-topic] Hackers exploit Linux mail ?worm?

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Mon, 3 May 1999 17:36:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Alexandre Hautequest wrote:

> I know this is not the right place to put this, but i think this need a
> look.
> Please flames in pvt.
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/219284.asp#BODY

The purpose of that article is to increase the number of comments in their
BBS discussion area at the bottom of the article so they can serve you
more ads. They post something controversial to increase traffic to the
site.

No Linux distribution is shipping that version of IMAP.
ALL linux distributions published fixes.

If anyone is still running that version of IMAP, they are just as stupid
as a Windows user who does not install a Microsoft security patch and then
complains about a problem.

It is no longer an issue. I could put a Windows machine on the net with
all kinds of patches missing and claim that old security bugs still exist
with it too.