Re: /proc/cpuinfo wrong for Intel 486SX-33!!

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Tue, 4 May 1999 00:40:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Rafael Reilova wrote:

[snip]
> IIRC, Intel introduced the cpuid instruction with the DX-100 and Pentiums,
> so a 486SX-25 is indistiguishable from any other 486 that doesn't have the
> cpuid. In fact, there is no way to tell it is an Intel even. Only 486
> Cyrixes are identified by the kernel, and that's because they put some
> DEVID registers in there from the beginning. I'm not sure about AMD's, if
> we knew for sure that only Intel's 486 didn't have cpuid we could default
> to the "GenuineIntel" string, yet I think AMD also made some 486 without
> cpuid. Anybody who knows 486 lore around?
I think a safer bet would be to say "Intel introduced the CPUID
instruction with late-model 486s and Pentiums". I have a '486SX-33 here
that supports the CPUID instruction. The computer was bought in July '94.

For AMDs, I don't know about AMD486's, but AMD5x86s (hot-rodded '486s)
also support CPUID (have one at work that supports CPUID).

Beyond that, I think I'll get off the soapbox for someone else.