Re: /proc/cpuinfo wrong for Intel 486SX-33!!

Robert G. 'Doc' Savage (dsavage@ns.peaknet.net)
Tue, 04 May 1999 00:31:13 -0500

Dick,

IIRC IBM produced a 486-like chip under license from Intel for their
short-lived PS/1 line. This chip had no FPU and was similar, but not 100%
identical, to Intel's 486SX. I believe IBM called it a 486SL and soldered
it directly to the PS/1 motherboard. That improved the PS/1's reliability,
but made it impossible to upgrade.

Modifying the cpuinfo discovery code to support the 486SL should be fairly
straightforward. Feel like working out the code and contributing a patch?

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

At 21:41 5/3/99 -0400, Dick Johnson wrote:
>On Mon, 3 May 1999, Alex Buell wrote:
>
>> I got a report from an user of one of my programs that his /proc/cpuinfo
>> doesn't identify his processor properly on his 2.2.6 kernel.
>>
>> --report--
>> Got this for my IBM PS/1 with a intel 486SX-33 (may be 25)
[snip]