Re: [off-topic] Re: Kenwood/Hi-Val True-X 40x CDROM drive.

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Tue, 04 May 1999 07:33:33 -0400

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> >> /dev/hda:
> >> Timing buffer-cache reads: 64 MB in 1.69 seconds =37.87 MB/sec
> >> Timing buffered disk reads: 32 MB in 3.29 seconds = 9.73 MB/sec
> It is important when running benchmark tests such as this to not
> have any processes running on the machine (idle machine). Also,
> run the tests several times to ensure the data is constant.

It's also very important to run a more recent (aka "bug-fixed")
version of hdparm than the one you he was using.

Try the measures again with hdparm-3.5, which doesn't get as easily
fooled by large memory sizes..

--
mlord@pobox.com