Re: Kernel memory profiling

Joerg Henne (joerg@cogito.de)
Tue, 04 May 1999 16:00:27 +0200

Steve,

Steve Dodd wrote:

> On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 05:25:05PM +0200, Joerg Henne wrote:
>
> > After the system's startup the memory usage looks like this:
> > - free: 27M
> > - shared: 9.6M
> > - buffers: 10M
> > - cached: 20M
> >
> > The amount of memory used slowly increases thereafter ultimately leading to
> > the system's halt.
>
> The output of /proc/slabinfo after startup and then at intervals might yield
> a clue; also if you compile in magic SysRq support and hit Alt+SysRq+M that
> info might be useful..

that's what I did now. I've gnuplotted a few graphs from the collected
information which can be found here: http://www.foobar.de/memgraphs/.

Unfortunately the information from /proc/slabinfo hasn't given me deeper
insights yet, and I have not yet understood the code (but I must confess that
I haven't banged my head very hard against it, yet).

Does somebody have a clue for me on which part of the system is continuously
eating up the memory?

Regards
Joerg Henne