Re: /proc/cpuinfo wrong for Intel 486SX-33!!

Rafael Reilova (rreilova@ECECS.UC.EDU)
Tue, 4 May 1999 11:16:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > 100% identical, to Intel's 486SX. I believe IBM called it a 486SL and
> > > soldered it directly to the PS/1 motherboard. That improved the
> > > PS/1's reliability, but made it impossible to upgrade.
> >
> > The quick and dirty solution here I think, is for the system to just put
> > "Braindead '486" in the cpu model. Presently it does identify it as '4'
> > correctly.
>
> You can indentify the 486SLC fairly easily. It has some magic I/O ports
> not unlike the Cyrix you can use to do things like power control with.

These are the DEVID right? IO Port 0xfe and 0xff. If so, then the kernel
should be identifying those chips already as Cyrix SLC (even if IBM made
them). If this isn't happening then there's a bug. Also remember that
some older SLC's didn't have the DEVID's, but still they should be
detected thru the 5/2 flag test.

Cheers,

-Rafael